Nun's Valley (Curral das Freiras)Curral das Freiras ('Nuns Valley') is a small village nestling between almost perpendicular mountains in the heart of the island.
The huge cauldron in which Curral das Freiras is sitting was either formed by erosion, which is the more recent theory, or as many still believe, by volcanic activity.
In 1566 the nuns from the Santa Clara convent fled from pirates attacking Funchal and found seclusion here where they also brought the convent treasure.
The village is very isolated and locals mainly live of what they grow. The local chestnuts are delicious and are used in everyday cooking.
Curral das Freiras was the property of a couple that sold this land to the captain of Funchal, João Gonçalves da Câmara. This captain gave the lands to his daughters when they entered into the Santa Clara convent (also built by him).