Largo dos Varadouros
In the 17th and 18th century this square represented the commercial centre as well as the main entrance gate of the town. After the terrible attack of French pirates in 1566, fortification and defence of the island were the main interests of the ruling power and the inhabitants of Funchal. Therefore, walls with only five gates were built around the city for protection, and the rivers nearby served as a moat.
None of the gates survived, not even the main entrance gate to the Largo dos Varadouros.