The first customhouse was situated on the Largo do Pelourinho. With the remodelling of the city and after the Town Hall and the Sé Cathedral had been erected, the – at the time so-called – ‘New Customhouse’ started being built. The construction was finished around 1519.
During the 17th and 18th century the building faced some improvements, and in 1715 the head of the customhouse ordered the construction of a chapel, only recently refurnished with interior decoration pieces of that period.
This complex went through several changes and enlargements throughout the 19th and 20th century, but the decision of installing the Madeira Legislative Assembly in this building was not made before 1982. The old Manueline nucleus of the building was restored and adapted to the new needs.